My Dessert


I have a terrible sweet tooth, and no amount of mature thinking, chides from son or increasing weight could cure it..and so here i am happily eating what looks like Caramel Custard.

I used to make good Caramel Custard in my non vegan days and my family members enjoyed it, both my sons, esp the younger one  polishing off the leftovers.

Any guest who comes for a meal will invariably have it as dessert. 

Roundabout the same period, when i was young and active, i used to go to another town from my place to do my surgeries.

I enjoyed these visits because several of my neices and one  nephew used to live there attending school, and lived with their grand- mom, who was my aunt.

It was a common practice those days, many children from the villages staying with grandparents in the small city to attend to their education.

And after work i stayed the night there with them, my aunt giving me a dinner of several crispy dosas, fresh from tawa, with multiple delicious chutnies ( her groundnut chutney was famous), and i shamelessly hogged on them ending it all with curd rice (😓).

On one of these visits i decided to make Caramel Custard for the kids , it being one of the easy to make sweets .

Came out quite well and i gave a piece each to the children when they returned from school, and invariably ALL of them, after putting one spoonful in the mouth spat it out and the youngest one had a gag reflex.


I was shocked and my pride came down... but I immediately realised two things: 

1.  I am not great in cooking for kids, except my own.

2. All tastes are acquired.


👇


This is the regular peanut curd we vegans keep talking about.


I made some for my friend who wanted to avoid Dairy milk for heath reasons, and taking care to keep aside a little for me, i had a doubt that it was a little thin and wondered about its appeal to her.

But today i took mine out of the fridge and it looked white and innocent and creamy.

Decided to make it into a dessert and sprinkled some brown sugar (naattu sakkarai) on it.

For a quick dessert requiring next to no labour ...it was good.


Might have been better had i added some cardamom and also something crispy on top like paappad or appalam as we call it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A minute to ponder 🤔🤔 Two to cook 🍋🌶️

சுலப சாம்பாரும் சிந்திக்க ஒரு நிமிடம்

விருட்சம்

சிந்திக்க ஒரு நிமிடம்

புகைபோக்கி

நகரும் 🐌 நத்தை

Cruelty-free Ommelete அகிம்சா ஆம்லட் 🌰🥬🌶️

வெட்டும் நேரம் வளரும் நேரம்

A minute to ponder...🤔 Two to cook.. 🍆🍅

பொன்னாடை துணி